People spend about 90% of their time at home or in the office. The numbers do not look good – for many of them health there are health risks from home rather than from the outside. There is a number of common pollution sources, many people are already familiar with the dangers with cleaning products and air fresheners. Other sources, however, are unknown to ordinary people.
The researchers at the State University of South Carolina found that candles made from paraffin contain chemicals that are typically related to liver disease, neurological problems and even leukemia. Also, the black smoke that candles release when they are extinguished, appears to be responsible for lung tissue damage, according to an expert in indoor air quality.
- Tip: If you want to create a relaxing space and a great atmosphere, opt for lamps that have a very low power, diffuse light and possibly even colored bulbs. Also, another solution is to choose candles made from beeswax or soy – they burn more slowly and emit less soot(impure carbon particles). Also, avoid as much as possible scented candles – they are more toxic than the rest.
Heating equipment (stoves, heaters, fireplaces)
Stoves, fireplaces, etc can release carbon monoxide, which can cause headaches, nausea, fatigue and even death, if the room is not sufficiently ventilated. They can also emit nitrogen dioxide, which can cause respiratory problems and inflammation of the eyes, nose and throat.
- Tip: Hire a professional to check every year whether the heating equipment is working properly. Install a carbon monoxide alarm.
A recent Australian study showed that about a third of existing printers in our homes are a powerful source of pollution, the impure particles being as toxic as the air from a street with many cars.
- Tip: It is very important that the printer is placed in a well ventilated area and at approximately 10 meters from the office or workplace. Also, if possible, try to print only in black, because colored ink is more toxic.
Outdoors, mold is good because it helps break down organic substances, but when oxygen spores are activated by the moisture inside, they can grow in an uncontrolled manner, causing a serious lung disease and even death. The symptoms include itching eyes, cough or difficulty breathing.
- Tip: Purchase a dehumidifier and keep it running for at least half an hour a day, especially in the bathroom and kitchen. There are several models on the market. Read the reviews published on bestdehumidifier.reviews in order to make sure that you are investing in the best products for your needs.
The tobacco smoke from one cigarette contains more than 4,000 pollutants at high concentrations. Tobacco kills more than five million people annually – more than HIV / AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria combined.
- Tip: You can get rid of cigarette smoke by using a specially designed air purifier, more precisely an activated carbon. Normal air purifiers are not powerful enough to eliminate cigarette smoke but luckily there are stronger devices that are able to do that. Therefore, it’s advisable to invest into an air purifier with activated carbon. You can find some great reviews of good air purifiers that use activated carbon on bestairpurifier.reviews. There, you will also find tips on how to find the best air purifier for your home.