Health Problems Caused by Tap Water Contaminants
Water is an essential element for a healthy life. The quality of the water we drink determines how hydrated we are, it stimulates digestion and removes toxins from our body. However, over the past years, tap water turned out to be a hazard to our health. There are traces of chemicals, nitrates, pesticides … The substances found in tap water are very concerning. As a result the bottled water consumption has doubled in 20 years and the sales of water filters have significantly increased. But are the health hazards real?
Health problems caused by tap water contaminants Picture
Tap water can be polluted by various substances particularly harmful to the human body. For example the pipes where water remains mostly at night can contaminate the water we drink.
The most common diseases that arise from the consumption of tap water are giardiasis, legionellosis, norovirus infection, dysentery, hepatitis, infection with E. coli and salmonella.
Even if the effects of water consumption are not visible at the moment, over time it can cause cancer or heart problems.
Harmful effects of using chlorine in tap water
Chlorine is used around the world in order to disinfect water so it can stay clean for a long time. Unfortunately comprehensive studies have demonstrated the harmful effects of this contaminant. This chemical, in combination with minerals or other organic matter present in water leads to the formation of compounds called “bromodiclorometan”, which can cause certain types of cancers or do harm to the reproductivity system. Thus the fertility and intrauterine development of children are affected; pregnant women who consume tap water have a much higher risk of having a miscarriage or having children with birth defects.
Parasites that can cause health problems
The most common parasites are Giardiasis. Giardia is a parasite that occurs more in the children who have not fully developed the intestinal immune system. This causes diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, headache, etc.
* Amoebiasis (dysentery amibiana) is favored by high resistance of the parasite in cystic form. The disease manifests mainly through diarrhea.
* Strongyloidiasis is a parasitic disease caused by an infection with the parasite Strongyloides stercoralis. Some infected people are asymptomatic, and most problems are digestive. In addition, skin problems are also presents in two thirds of patients.
* Trichomoniasis is caused by Trichomonas, which leads to intestinal diseases
* Fasciolosis or distomatosis are parasitic diseases that affect the liver
The most frequent bacterial infections are:
* Typhoid fever, caused by Salmonella typhy, this infection can be prevented by vaccination and following the basic rules of hygiene
* Dysentery caused by Shigella, which is extremely dangerous; has a high risk of intense dehydration, and it can affect the heart, leading to death in the absence of proper care.
Hepatitis virus (A) is the most common of viral diseases.
Other noninfectious diseases and health hazards caused by polluted tap water are:
* Nitrate poisoning effects
* Mercury poisoning, manifested as headache, dizziness, insomnia, memory problems, vision problems, anemia
* Pesticide poisoning, which have hepatotoxic effects, neurotoxic, teratogenic (affecting fetus in utero development) etc.
* Cadmium poisoning
* Fluorine poisoning
Water filters are an effective solution to have a clean and safe water for drinking and cooking.The filters eliminate or reduce the content of lead, chlorine and other compounds, solvents and pesticides or impurities such as sand or rust, and potential parasites. In order to avoid these risks, we advise you to find a good water filter, preferably a whole house model. If you can’t decide which filter to choose, study some reviews on waterfilters.systems. A good water filter removes the impurities and hazardous chemicals in tap water. Now your family can drink tap water without worrying and you can use it to prepare food or have your fresh coffee in the morning. It’s not only healthier but also tastier!